Saturday, October 8, 2011

Pumpkin Ravioli with Walnut Sage Pistou

It's fall! Pumpkin season! Best time of year!

I admit it. I watch the Food Network sometimes. This is loosely (very, very loosely) based on a Giada de Laurentiis recipe, but veganized & improved by like a million percent.  The pumpkin filling is creamy & has a tiny bit of sweetness from some maple syrup (you can use brown sugar or brown rice syrup in its place; I just like pumpkin & maple together).

I went with a pistou instead of a pesto because I like the texture way better.  Pistou is almost like pesto, except it doesn't have nuts in it.  Pesto is traditionally herbs, garlic, nuts & oil, whereas pistou is just the herbs, garlic & oil  I had some walnut oil in the fridge leftover from my maple walnut vinaigrette so I used that in my sauce, which provided it with a nice nutty flavor & a lot of richness.  If you don't have walnut oil, you can throw in a handful of walnuts & use all olive oil in your sauce.

I ended up serving my ravioli over a bed of baby spinach (which wilted from the heat of the ravioli) along with some toasted pepitas & dried cranberries.

On to the recipe!

Pumpkin Ravioli:

1 15-oz can pumpkin
3/4 tsp herbes de provence
1/2 c chopped shallots
2 cloves garlic
1/2-3/4 c ricotta (I used the cashew ricotta recipe from Veganomicon)
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 Tbsp maple syrup
salt to taste
1 pkg dumpling wrappers

Saute the shallots & garlic in oil until they are translucent, then add the herbes de provence, nutmeg, cayenne & maple syrup. Cook for one or two more minutes until the maple syrup has cooked off. Add the pumpkin & ricotta to the pan & stir to combine. Fill the dumpling wrappers with a scant teaspoon of filling. Seal the dumplings by wetting one side of the wrapper & folding the dry side of the wrapper onto it. Work out the extra air & press to seal.  Boil for 2-3 minutes or until the pasta is cooked.

While the pasta is cooking, make the sauce!


Sage Pistou

Combine the following in a food processor:
1 supermarket sized container or sage, leaves only
2 handfuls baby spinach
2 Tbsp walnut oil
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 shallot
1/2 tsp lemon juice
zest of half a lemon
spoonful of ricotta (optional)

No comments:

Post a Comment